January 31, 2009

Site 7 - Wilson Dam Rock Pile


Wow! What a wonderful day of birding at Site 7! It was only in the 20's when I arrived around 9:00am to Site 7- but it was a gorgeous sunny day. Site 7 lies at the bottom of a bluff with a beautiful waterfall- only about 200 yards from Wilson Dam. The deep shade presented a problem for shooting low ISO photographs- it appears that the best time to photograph would be a little later in the morning- perhaps around 11:00am in the winter time.

This is a lovely site! The waterfall is beautiful. I was able to get a few good shots of Ring-Billed Gulls catching fish. There were also many Comorants and American White Pelicans.

I was also pleasantly surprised to get a photo of a Winter Wren- as well as have it added to my birding list. I had never seen one before.

Just as I was leaving to head toward Site 6 (which is located at the top of the bluff- but you have to drive to it from the bottom)- I noticed a male bald eagle attacking another male bald eagle. The sequence of shots are in this gallery!


1 comment:

Carolynn Anctil said...

What a gorgeous shot of the Winter Wren and the Eagle, too, of course.