March 25, 2008

Site 2 (March 25, 2008)


On my lunch break today, I returned to Site 2, which is near Wheeler Dam. At around 12:30pm there were 7 American White Pelican- many more near the shore than my last visit to Site 2 a few days ago at the same time of day. I was also thrilled to see 2 Common Loon. I was only able to get near to one for a halfway decent photo, and that Loon, shown in the accompanying photo, was still in its plain winter dress.

I was especially pleased to get a photo of an American White Pelican catching and swallowing a fish. It appears that they use their upper bill to help hold the fish tight against their lower bill so that they can arrange the fish for swallowing. Very neat.

Another cool sighting was watching the American Coots take off. It looks like they literally run across the top of the water to build up enough speed to fly. Below is a photo demonstrating the run up to the take-off.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful White Pelican photos. I actually have seen White Pelicans twice in our province, tho they were rare sightings as we don't have Pelicans as far north as we are. Great title picture!!

Jayne said...

Very nice shots Daniel! Nice to meet you, and thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll have to visit your other sites as well. :c)

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Well, you KNOW I love the white pelicans, Daniel! Love your photos and prose and have added a link to this particular blog of yours on my site, along with the other. Great stuff!!! Debi